Saturday, September 28, 2013

So how can we be of help when it comes to human rights?
 
Justice related to opportunities and resources required for occupational participation sufficient to satisfy personal needs and full citizenship.
                                                                                       - Townsend & Wilcock, 2004
 
So, how crazy is this but I have spent most of my holiday sitting at my desk! I know it's sad that I am working during my holidays when the beach is right around the corner but these next couple of weeks are ludicrously busy. I was sitting and pondering away when all of a sudden the dogs barked and the door bell rang. I must have been so deeply engrossed in my work that I did not notice that I was the only occupant left in our home which clearly meant opening the door for whomever was there. When I took a glimpse to see who was at the door I was surprised to see a little family made up of a middle aged couple and two little boys, one of which was in a pram. I asked them how I could help them which is when they told me their story...


 

It is funny, but my professional face (that's if I have one already) immediately came out while listening to their story. Ok I was not in my working clothes but OT grows on one and so one tends to automatically apply the principles that one has learnt in class, in your 'normal' life. We (here at home) have come across a lot of similar situations in the past which have taught me many lessons...now, I was on my own and had to handle this situation to the best of my ability.

 Their story began with them having to leave their house that they were renting because the land owners had a dispute. They didn't know where to go as the man was a car guard at our local mall and earned R80 a day whilst the lady looked after the two children. They were willing to stay anywhere as long as they would have a roof over their heads....and that is all they told me.

I am telling this story as it got me thinking. How do I handle this situation, keeping my beliefs in mind and my acquired OT knowledge? It also got me thinking about the asserts that all people have the right to, based on the WFOT Human Rights position paper, which are:     

 
Asserts that all people have the right to - based on the WFOT Human Rights position paper
 
  • Be supported to participate in occupation as included and valued member of their family, community and society.
  •  Have choice, not being pressured, forced or coerced into occupation that threaten health, or are dehumanising, degrading or illegal.
  • Be valued for their participation, and have equitable access, regardless of difference.
  • Access occupations that enable people to flourish, fulfil their potential, experience satisfaction.
  • Access civic, educative, productive, social, creative, spiritual and restorative occupations.
  • Not be excluded from occupation by economic, social and physical barriers.
 
To me these asserts are a little 'far fetched'. They paint the perfect picture of what occupation should be all about but are they really being realistic at the end of the day?! Maybe if these asserts would be implemented, this family of four would live a more comfortable life. There are however 'weeds' which prevent people to reach their ultimate 'occupational potential' which we should be aware of.
 
These are factors like; occupational alienation, occupational  deprivation, occupational marginalisation and occupational balance.
 
It is vitally important that we as OT students become aware of these 'barriers' so that one day when we are practicing, may it be in the rural or private setting, that we don't become oblivious to these barriers that may stand in the way of our clients. We need to search for possible solutions ie. community profiling, examining the policies, action research etc. so that we can assist our clients and society in breaking through these barriers so that they may participate in an occupation that gives them purpose and meaning. In doing this, we may assist our justice system in serving justice, even though it may be on a small scale...every little bit helps. 
 
I strongly believe that justice can not be 'squished' into a system...it starts with everyone's attitude towards it.
 
Reference
 
Townsend, E., Wilcock, A. (2004). Occupational justice and client centred practice: A dialogue in progress. Canadian Journal of Occupational Therapy, 71 (2), 75 - 87 

No comments:

Post a Comment