Sunday, February 23, 2014


Dreams do come true!!

The value of a man resides in what he gives and not what he is capable of receiving.    – Albert Einstein

 I will admit that I am a big dreamer J haha, It’s probably what I do best! Two of my biggest dreams came true in the last four years. My first dream was finding and being accepted to study my dream carrier (OT of course) and my second dream was having had the opportunity to travel across my counties boarders. When a dream comes true, one’s life is filled with joy and hope. I felt refreshed and received reassurance that life has got so much more in store for me!  
You know what is even greater than your own dream coming true?!....it’s being part of making someone else’s dream come true!...which is what happened yesterday! We took Daniel, a 30 year old guy who is diagnosed with athetoid CP sky diving yesterday. He is cognitively fully functional and has got such a great personality! The story went a viral! He was in the news last night and on the front cover of today’s news paper! What a true hero.
 This experience however made me think of one of my clients in the community that also suffers from possible CP. He is twenty one years of age and presents ten times worse than Daniel, as he has got fixed dysfunctional contractures in his ankles, knees, hips, elbows, shoulders and neck. On top of being severely contracted, his cognition is also severely impaired and he suffers from cortical blindness. It breaks my heart to know that we will never be able to take him sky diving. I guess that he has got different needs and that we could attempt to make him as comfortable as possible and to stimulate him as best as we can. I will also have a look at the family’s needs. The speechies and audios are also prepared to get plugged into his intervention plan which I am excited about!

This just goes to show again how different every case is and how different the needs are of our clients....even with the same or similar diagnosis.  

I am really looking forward to making or assisting with making other peoples dreams come true.
 

 

 

1 comment:

  1. We could start a culture of sharing our dreams and setting deadlines to achieve them... sometimes it may just be something really small, but it has never been voiced before. Sharing dreams requires a relationship and a level of trust - that the other person won't laugh at your dream, but instead will listen and run with you.

    ReplyDelete