Thursday, August 22, 2013

...when you feel like clay that is being moulded into something new
He, the service user was asked to engage in the activity of identifying and clarifying the different components defining his self concept. This was done by looking at one of his interests, mainly pottery. For just a second  I felt like the clay that was going through his hands...being shaped by all sorts of forces, rounding away the rough edges.
 
What makes OT so different from other courses is that it does not only build up your knowledge but it also shapes the way you handle and approach different people in this life which is why you have to be willing to 'round off those rough edges'. Some say we are all born with a set personality others say it is acquired. I believe that one is born with a large portion of your personality and that the rest is acquired over time. Life shapes your every being like pottery in the potters hand. 
 
The question, 'What do you look out in people especially in a boyfriend or a spouse?' was posed in class this week. One girl piped up "money" another "intelligence" a third "looks"...to me what counts most would probably be the personality and the character of people. (cheesy I know) This situation made me realize that if I find the personality or character so interesting, I should also be willing to give mine a good analysis in order to become more therapeutic. 
 
At the moment I feel a little like my head is all over the place...watch your handling skills, watch that your activity is appropriate, watch your scientific writing, watch your goals and aims setting, watch what and how you say things to your clients, watch your body language...I have decided to take it step by step as there is no point in rushing things...it will take time and effort but I am strongly holding on to the analogy of the clay being moulded into an unique end product....
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment