Thursday, August 29, 2013

The power of emotions
...laughing & crying on the same day!?
 
When starting off your day you have absolutely no idea what it may bring!...except maybe for what is written in your diary...and that may not even happen the way you have written it out so neatly. The same holds true for OT sessions! You can plan years ahead, with ample amount of effort and yet nothing will run according to your perfect plan A or even plan B!...On Monday night I was feeling very unprepared and somehow not confident about my work for the day ahead. It might have been due to the response I received about my treatment write ups (which I must admit were messed up). 
 
 ***
 
So let's face it, when talking to men about feelings they will find the easiest way to flee the conversation hey!? Well yesterday, my 28 year old male client was the one who brought up his feelings during our session about communicational barriers. Not only that, but he was getting a little emotional...the topic that was being discussed must have been close to his heart because I have never witnessed him listening so intently!...usually he's the one that will carry a conversation! 
 
The session also spoke to me...especially the three factors that we should work on in order to improve our communication skills.
  1. Our body language
  2. Listening
  3. Speaking
In the last while I have felt a little excluded from all networks in my life. There were times when I felt quite lonely with my thoughts and feelings...guess it could be due to my love language which I think is ' spending quality time with loved ones'. I understand, life has been a little busy for us all and that there is plenty of change hovering in the air and that everyone sometimes forgets to listen....then again it could be because I don't talk about my feelings enough, or maybe it lies in the way I express myself...lots of time to discover that one:) 
 
The day on prac ended on a lighter and brighter note. We discussed our treatment write ups where I discovered that I may want to fix everything (even the irrelevant stuff) in one session when we should actually not try to eat the elephant in one go. I found the feedback really helpful and supportive! My last session however made my day! I played an adapted snakes-and-ladders-slash-that's-Life game to assist my client with decision making which we both enjoyed so much that we could not help smiling and laughing...don't worry the OT side of things was achieved (in my opinion) but the fact that it was done with so many happy vibes was heart warming!
 
 
   
        

No comments:

Post a Comment